Sunday, April 6, 2008

Who Superimposed Order? Shirley's Blog in Time and Space

Like last week I was surprised by the results of the blog analysis. While attempting to determine what sense of order was inherently present or purposefully imposed in Shirley's blog, I realized I could not differentiate between the Shirley's order and Emily's order. Was I correctly interpreting Shirley's use of space and content breaks as her intended order, or was I superimposing an order of my own in an attempt to understand the blog in my own mind?

"Trusting my skills of observation to inform what I saw in the blog content," I found the structure of Shirley's blog at once predictable and peculiar. The socially-mandated aspects of blogging and constructing space and order followed a consistent and logical pattern, and were thus predictable. Examples include the blog titles, which encompassed almost every aspect of the post as a form of social courtesy or socially-constructed norm that writers must indicate their subject in a headline (Bijlmermeer + Exploration + Lectures or Interview + Exploration Wonders, in which the addition signs immediately stand out as an indication that in Shirley's mind, these subjects are linked within the post), the use of paragraphs to clearly demarcate different topics (and the use of spaces in between those paragraphs to clearly demarcate and spatially seperate the text itself, further emhasizing to the reader the distinctness of each subject), the use of bullet points to breifly outline ideas rather than jamming unrelated observations into a single blob of text (and furthermore the space in between these bullet points), and the use of a single phrase and a colon before these bullet points to establish the context for the reader. I wonder the extent to which Shirley made these spatial and formatting choices intentionally (to clarify the content for the reader), and which aspects of formatting were not choices at all but rather unconscious conformation to socially constructed norms (as I notice I have thoughtlessly done now by seperating these paragraphs).

What I found peculiar is the chronological and topical mixture Shirley used to order the content within her posts. She usually began by detailing the early events of the day, but rather than adhere to a strict chronological order (at 3 we counted head scarves, at 4 I met this man, at 5 I interviewed this woman), it seemed that certain events as subjects led better into other events as subjects (at 3 we counted headscarves, I later interviewed a woman about her headscarf, I also met a man today about a completely different subject). I'm not sure this example made sense, but the point I'm trying to communicate is that Shirley's order is not necessarily time-oriented but rather she allows one subject to flow into a similar one. I think the reason she always begins with the earliest activity is due to a social norm of blogging, that the order of events is easier for a reader to interpret chronologically.

1 comment:

Clifford Tatum said...

emily-

excellent position on the blurry lines of order's origin: that you could not "differentiate between the Shirley's order and Emily's order." and interesting that you found order in textual moves. i wonder if you found any order in the visual (non-textual) elements.